As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Argh f*cking autosave (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Argh f*cking autosave
Re:Argh f*cking autosave 12 Years, 5 Months ago
Yeah, that might be the part being lost, but I don't know about losing p-lock data. That's pattern data. Unless you just mean the start offsets, which would be lost if you lose the slice points... Was that it?
What the hell kind of data was being sent to the OT?
It may just be one of those lessons learned. With the MD I had several times when things like this happened. Saving the kit without saving as new, thus mucking up another pattern using that kit that had been just right. I've done essentially the same thing with OT and not saving parts.
Be careful out there.
I would love more undos, but wonder whether Elektrons OS structure is capable of this sort of thing. That's basically an entire snapshot of data for each undo state. This machine isn't a laptop (thank fucking Judas).
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
^ It was just some controller data from the MD, but it happened to be on the same channel as the OT so it messed up LFO, filter, and fx settings, I could not remember all the settings so thought the backup would work.
Current way of saving is logically very correct in it's own way. It's just so unusual way when compared to most of the interfaces we work with, that every time I save anything, I have to double and triple check before executing.

I wish that I'd be able to save many backup versions of project instead of just one. And NAME the different versions. That's the way almost everybody is used to save anyway, with computer sequencers, spreadsheets, text documents and whatever you do with files on your computer.

So yeah, autosave is great and all, but I'd really wish there were be more options when saving the backups, too.
Game & Watch
I'm with you on naming the restore points. For versions, don't forget you can always save as new project. MyProject11-28, MyProject12-12, etc.

Although it would be pretty cool if there was a "Text" machine where you could pull up/edit a text file! Ideas, personal notes, etc. Even better, instead of editing it on the screen, you could just have it sit in the project folder and you could edit it over USB.
Game & Watch
^+1 On everything Veets just said
Chain Chomp
darenager wrote:
^ It was just some controller data from the MD, but it happened to be on the same channel as the OT so it messed up LFO, filter, and fx settings, I could not remember all the settings so thought the backup would work.

Backup should have been the last resort.
Instead my advice is that you should have copied the existing edited part to a new empty part to retain what ever settings that were not lost.
secondly you should have reloaded the existing edited part to its saved state to get access to whatever settings that were saved and correct for you in that part.
Lastly you should have used the restore backup option if it was still needed.

The above method requires to save your part frequently to be able have the latest changes available. That's another reason why parts are useful.
Game & Watch
And the other side of the coin is that all of this seems unnecessary complex, right? Like lets say this was the MD, controller data messed up my kit, kit reload, done.
This is a much more complex machine, though.
It becomes second nature eventually.
Chain Chomp
darenager wrote:
And the other side of the coin is that all of this seems unnecessary complex, right? Like lets say this was the MD, controller data messed up my kit, kit reload, done.

If you had saved the part before sending the midi chunk from MD then a reload would be enough for OT too. So its a user error(yours) not a machine one.
Game & Watch
I saved the project, did some work on the pattern, turned machine off, next day turned machine on, OT loaded project just as it was before, MD sent some data (my error) messed up pattern, I assumed that since the OT had loaded the pattern correctly between a power cycle that the backup would be the state of the pattern just prior to turning off, but when I loaded the backup it was an earlier state.

Please tell me the advantage of it being contrary to what I assumed, and that by me having to perform another save is somehow beneficial, rather than it just reloading what it loaded when I turned it on.
Go to top Post Reply